Monday, August 8, 2011

Coming and Going...


Have you ever noticed how fashion comes and goes? How trends go in and out of style, and suddenly 10 years later they are back?

I started looking at bridal 12 years ago, and thankfully I documented it. I have a giant binder filled with pictures of everything from wedding magazines. My mom would always think it was so funny when I would buy bridal magazines at age 12 saying “youre not getting married yet blair!” haha, you can see how that would be funny! I just knew that was my calling!

ANYWAYS, what I was getting at, was that in my “The One Dresses” tab in the 10 pound binder, there are many dresses that now, are coming back. Or at least elements of them are circling back.

Take for instance, lace sleeves that were previously touched on in the last post. They were a must in the late 80's to early 90's but then you see strapless dresses getting more prominent. In the 80's there were puffy long sleeves, high necklines, and long trains, not to mention the dress in the hue of white.

Now, you see nothing but a sea of strapless, ivory gowns when shopping. In the store I work at, most of our stock is in ivory. Keep in mind when shopping for that perfect gown that they all come in white and ivory, some in other colors, such as blush, blue, purple, red, and gold. Alfred Angelo debuted such colors in his Spring 2012 collection.

A Sampling Designers that offer different hued wedding gowns: aside from white and ivory:
-Alfred Angelo- blush, purple, aqua, and gold
-Maggie Sottero- red, gold, champagne, silver
-Vera Wang- taupe, platinum, champagne, lilac, black, green
-Casablanca- blush, platinum, gold, champagne

So if you are thinking outside the box of just white or ivory, think of looking into another color!

Personally, I would love nothing more than a pink wedding gown. Pink has always been my favorite color, if I could have a pink gown with an ivory lace overlay, that would be it! :D

The reason for the sea of ivory gowns, is that most brides look better in ivory. There is nothing wrong with an ivory dress. Dont look washed out by a white gown, just because of a tradition. You want to look beautiful, like yourself on your wedding day, choose that dress that's going to transcend the years, one that you might just want to pass down to your little girl. You also dont want to look back 10 years down the road and say, “What was I wearing!?” Make sure that after the wedding, you have the gown preserved. Most bridal shops do bridal preservation, and they are guaranteed for at least 60 years.




No comments:

Post a Comment